Friday, November 11, 2011

Dogs and Babies.... about the same!

I once experienced a day in the life of a dog owner, or at least a few hours of it. I was with my brother in Portland and we went to a race. While Nathan ran, I got to walk around with Slate, the dog. He had shared the joy of “stranger chit-chat” that comes with having a dog next to your side, but I didn’t realize the reality nor the pleasure until I experienced it myself. I was blown away by the number of people who approached me in friendly conversation…. Just because I had a DOG with me! It was as if any stranger awkwardness was completely washed away merely by having a simple and obvious topic to discuss. I loved it!

I’m finding that being pregnant has a similar Stranger response. They gravitate to a common, logical conversation topic that I’m wearing right on my belly! It’s as if I’m screaming, “Please small-talk with me. I have a giant belly and I like people.”

The other day I was at the grocery store and the man behind me in line asked when I was due. He didn’t fit the traditional profile of “stranger interested in a woman’s due date” but I didn’t stress and proudly shared the news. It turns out his wife is pregnant as well and is due around the same time as me. They weren’t able to get pregnant after having their last son, who is now 10 years old. How exciting. He actually shared quite a few details including the length of and some inconsistencies she has with her cycle which at one point made me laugh—who knew I’d be discussing a woman’s cycle with a strange man in a grocery store? But regardless, it was all legit. It was all okay. And we bonded as expecting parents. What fun.

Another time, I was at Taco Bell. I love their ice water, and one of the main reasons is because it comes in a little plastic cup and doesn’t have that yucky after-taste that paper cups give. One day they gave me my water in a PAPER cup. I almost didn’t say anything, but decided to be bold. I told the man I had a strange request and when he seemed confused as to why I cared about the type of cup I received, I proceeded to share that because I’m pregnant, things are just weird with my tastes. He genuinely apologized, saying they were out of the little plastic cups. Moments later, as we were beginning our meal, he passed by me with one of the giant soda PLASTIC cups. He said, “My fiancĂ© is pregnant. I understand these things.” I don’t think he was technically allowed to hand over a giant soda cup for free, but we had a common bond of trust. I was SO grateful. What a man.

Another day, I was at Burger King and struggling with my order. Spencer piped in an explanation to the lady that I was pregnant and very indecisive with food choices. She shared that she, too, was pregnant and completely understood. She and I bonded when I told her I was very impressed she was working with food during such a hard-to-be-around-food time. She thanked me. After eating our very satisfying lunch, I went up to get some ice cream. She looked at me with understanding eyes and said, “Do you need more food?” I thought she was so nice. I’m pretty sure she made our M&M Premium Sundae with extra care AND extra M&Ms. It made my day.

Today, I was getting my blood drawn for a little health screening at work. I was a little stressed about it because I had to fast for 8 hours and I rarely make it through the night without a 2 am snack. I sat down to draw the blood and when I filled the nurse in that I had only fasted 8 hours instead of the recommended 12, I saw her little eyes light up and we connected. She shared a story about taking the 3-hour glucose test when she was pregnant with her 4th child. She said she felt so sick and had to fast for so long, but was told that if she threw up, she’d have to start over. I sure hope I pass my 1 hour test so I don’t have to try the long one! I don’t think I’d make it without throwing up. She chatted the entire time, and soon the needle was out, the blood was done, and lo and behold I didn’t even pass out! What a wonderful lady.

1 comment:

Paige Moore said...

Oh Kelsey I haven't checked your blog in years but alas your fb post directed me here and I'm so glad! I'm totally grinning about so many things. Can't wait to meet Alora! Maybe I'll see ya more often :)